Sunday, May 02, 2010

Praise Therapy

After suffering a brain aneurysm, I spent a month in hospital recovering, then a further month in a rehabilitation hospital to have daily therapy.

Each day involved attending and participating in three or four sessions. Always fatigued and often suffering from headaches, I lived for nights when I could go to bed and stay there.

Given that I was unable to find the therapy rooms on my own - or even tell the time - my therapy was an ongoing trial. I often wondered if I would ever competent enough to go home and lead a normal life.

One evening, a nurse called in to see me before she went off duty. "I just wanted to let you know how well you're doing. It was important to tell you that," she said.

Her encouraging words overwhelmed me. After her comment, I knew I was winning the battle. I'm sure she would never know how much impact her gesture had.

Cherie Lawton


0 comments: